SPECIALTY SEEDS LTD.
WILL AND JEAN VAN ROESSEL
BOX 490, BOW ISLAND, AB T0K 0G0
Office: (403) 545-6018 Cell: (403) 952-0913
Office Toll Free 1-866-545-6018
Web site: www.specialtyseeds.ca
We hope you are surviving the winter well. It will soon be time to make spring planting decisions. Here is some information that might help you.
We have the following varieties of seed available at this time. If you are interested in other varieties, we can usually direct you to a supply or else bring some in to our yard for you to pick up here.
- SUPERB - This has proven to be the best yielding hard red spring wheat for both irrigation and dryland (assuming the sawflies didn't get it!) We have some excellent looking seed carried over from 2003. It'll be first come/first served for this bin!
- LOVITT - A new hard red spring variety that has shown excellent results in SW Saskatchewan, with good yield with high protein. A few of the terminals have IP production contracts available.
- AC RADIANT winter wheat - We hope to have some of this seed available in August. It is an exciting new variety that is resistant to the wheat curl mite. These are the insects that spread wheat streak mosaic virus from green wheat plants to emerging winter wheat plants in September. It looks good for straw strength and yield as well, so should be great for irrigation. Stop by this summer for a look.
- AC MORSE durum - This is still an excellent variety, especially for irrigation. I know, everyone is saying "Don't grow durum in 2005!" So, this might be the year to do it. Or, you may want to grow durum this year to have some #1 to mix off with the #3 that you will carry over into next year.
- CDC YORKTON - This is one variety for all needs. It is being test marketed for malt, but also produces excellent yields for feed as well as a super silage variety. It is a 6-row, with smooth awns, and has excellent straw strength.
- TOPEKA - This is a yellow pea that is resistant to powdery mildew. It is very high yielding and rated moderate for standability. We grew the seed under wheel lines and had very high yield (over 90 bu/ac) and it was all standing well over my knees when harvested!
- CDC XENA and CDC DIVA - I have located some supplies of good seed in Saskatchewan, so if you are interested, call soon, because good seed is in short supply.
- We have CDC PINTIUM (upright pinto, very early, for 22 inch rows or solid), CDC EXPRESSO black (upright, early, for solid seeding) and CDC POLAR BEAR great northerns (for row cropping). Local seed may become more important if the proposed 100% tariff on imported bean seed goes into effect.
We are dealers for Brett-Young Seeds, who sell all sorts of grasses and legumes including AURORA Timothy and HYBRIFORCE-400 hybrid alfalfa. They will custom blend any order to your needs.
We sell nitrogen inoculants for all pulse crops and legumes as well as phosphate inoculants for almost every crop. If you order in January, we can get you some excellent prices, and you don't have to pay until you use the products.
We plan to have a few products available this spring. If you have a preference, please let us know at the time you order seed so that we have the seed treatment in stock.